In web design and development, a micro-interaction is an event which is aimed towards one focus task or purpose. Now, even when you don’t recognize it in technical terms, one can see micro-interactions all over the websites and apps. The primary objective of micro-interactions is to delight the users and to create an engaging or welcoming moment in a human way.
While considering micro-interactions, you can take the Facebook Messenger Thumbs Up as an example. This animation serves multiple purposes as:
- Communicating the status and also provide feedback
- Providing a feeling of direct personal manipulation
- Helping individual to see an instant response to their actions.
So, micro-interactions are now considered to be a crucial aspect of web design and development, which all the business website makers should know and keenly consider. Let’s us further break it down to have a better understanding.
Break-down of micro-interactions
- It triggers an interaction. These triggers can be initiated by the users or by the system itself.
- In triggers which are user-initiated, the user initiates an action.
- In triggers with system-initiation, software or application detects certain characteristics and initiate an action automatically. In this, some set of rules will determine what will happen if micro-interaction is triggered.
- Feedback will let the users know about the latest happenings. This may be any reflection of typical user experience while a micro-interaction is initiated.
- The modes and loops will further determine the meta-rules of micro-interactions.
Why micro-interactions matter?
This is a question many website designers may have in mind. As discussed, if the micro-interactions are very tiny design elements, then why you should care that much about them? In fact, it is unfortunate that the web designers and developers have such doubts as ignoring the need for micro-interactions may ultimately cost the website owners a lot. What makes a website exceptional from the rest is its attention given to the details. This is where micro-interactions come into play. Here are some major reasons why micro-interactions matter.
- Micro-interactions will help remove complicated website navigation
- Effective micro-interaction makes it easier for the website users to interact with the portal.
- Offers relevant feedback instantly about user actions.
- Can be used to give some tips to the users.
- Can be used to communicate about various interactive elements.
- Make the user experience more engaging and rewarding.
- Help encourage liking and sharing of content.
- Can effectively direct the user attention
- Overall, it can make your site more personal, human, and emotional.
The well-though micro-interactions deployed by New York web design agency is a clear sign as to how a website is taking care of its users. The modern-day users value it very much. With effective micro-interactions, a user gets an idea about whether they are doing the right things and or what to do and when for more effective interaction with the webs elements or them to get things done. A web page or app can give instant visual feedback and train the users to work with the system well through such micro-interactions.
When done right, micro-interactions can offer a very positive perception about your brand and can also positively interact with the user action without the users, even realizing it happens. If you like or don’t like any aspect of the product, you can instantly have a predisposition to express a positive or negative feeling towards it. With this instant feedback, business owners and marketers may pay better attention to the details and can take appropriate measures to keep your users satisfied.
The major forms of micro-interactions
Swipe is now a largely used action to eliminate the need for tap, which is more user-friendly and smoother to perform. Swipe helps users to switch quickly between different tabs and gather more information in a shorter period. For smartphone users, swiping is a common gesture which can be performed without any thought.
2. Data Input
Users are basically frustrated about setting up passwords on creating accounts. This operation can raise hackles easily. Even though some suggestions and proactive information about the strength of the password may help users, you can also thin of interactive information during data input to keep the users and engaged and also accomplish their goals easier.
Animations are considered to be one of the most effective modes of micro-interactions now. This is also a web design element, the presence of which may not notice but takes a toll on the users. Good animations will also make the process more addictive and interesting to the designers and users as well. However, designers need to be very careful while making such animations to engage users by ensuring that it doesn’t frustrate or distract them.
4. Current status
While planning micro-interactions, it is also important to keep the users informed about the latest site status as to what is happening around. While on your web page or app, you have to keep the users well informed not to get them annoyed and navigate away from there. Effective micro-interactions will help the users to know where they are exactly going, what to expect next, and how much time it will take to complete their task in hand. You can even make the failure messages engaging and humorous to engage the users.
5. Making the tutorials more engaging
We know that all are seeking valuable information constantly. The tutorials help largely in micro-interaction and provide information to the users about working of applications by highlighting the features and simplifying the controls for better understanding.
Along with these, the wider scope of micro-interactions also extends to more areas like incorporating an engaging call to actions, including animated buttons, making the desired actions more human and engaging, etc. The support of a creative and intelligent designer to prepare your website or app micro-interactions to serve the purpose well. It is possible to do a lot of experimentation on this as far as it yields you a better output.