Running a business, whether big or small, is a serious task. But often, in the case of a small business, you need to be highly flexible to make the best use of your company assets. In particular, this becomes more relevant when storage space is limited.
Space can be a problem when you have a small office area at your disposal. This is why every single item you keep inside your office requires thorough decision-making, to ensure not a single square foot will be wasted. However, when you decide to get a storage unit, lack of space can become your least concern.
Don’t want to congest you’re already cramped office? Take advantage of the following benefits of a storage unit.
1. Save on expense
By having your own storage unit, your office will have the option to free up space. Rather than spending money to upgrade to a bigger office in an expensive location, you can save more by renting storage space instead.
To make sure that you get the biggest bang for your buck, below are smart tips for using a storage unit:
- Store only what’s essential – You wouldn’t want to pay for a safe deposit box only to fill it up with worthless trinkets. In the same way, you shouldn’t turn your storage unit into a garbage bin. Scrutinize every office item you choose to store in it and get rid of those you no longer need.
- Avail of discounts – Whether you need a storage unit for just a few days or an extended period, ask about discounts and take advantage of them. Most deals can save you from 10 to 25 percent off the regular price and sometimes include several months for free.
- Compare sizes and prices – Take the time to contact storage facility prospects to compare what they can offer in terms of size and price. Do take into account factors like ease of access, security, and always read the fine print before signing anything.
- Negotiate prices – There are storage providers that offer some wiggle room to accommodate businesses. It doesn’t hurt to ask. You never know, you may just end up with a lower price or more space for your money.
When you decide to get a storage unit, be thorough in searching for the best deal, think hard about what you want to stow away and find ways to get the best value for your money.
2. Enjoy flexible options
The flexibility of a storage unit is especially useful for small businesses who need a more amenable arrangement. For instance, if you need to expand or downsize, a self-storage unit offers this flexibility. Self-storage units come in different sizes; this means you only need to pay for the space you need.
Other flexible options that a storage unit can offer, include:
- Long and short-term arrangements
- Payment by the cubic meter not by unit
- Space for large or over sized items
3. Increase business profit margins
Since a storage unit offers extra space at a lower cost, your business can take advantage of the opportunity to buy, create, and store more stock.
With more access to storage space, your company can save money as you can buy products or supplies in bulk. This is the best way to avoid encountering any supply backlogs as well as stock shortages which may damage your business and its reputation.
Effective Stock Management
For the success of your business, you need to address stock holding and inventory in a professional and timely manner.
In this case, a storage unit becomes most useful in preventing the overflow of goods, especially if there’s a tendency to order stock long before selling your current inventory..
When looking for additional space, make sure you know how to choose a storage unit that has the features which your company can benefit best from.
4. Protect your items
With round-the-clock security, you don’t have to always keep an eye on your office items. An excellent storage facility with reliable security features such as durable locks and a state-of-the-art surveillance system can guarantee that your business and your assets are well-protected.
Keeping goods lying around your office can make accidents and damages more likely. However, by storing them in a storage unit, you can avoid these things and preserve them under ideal conditions.
5. Store important documents
Is your recordkeeping and document storage not fully digital yet? As you may have noticed, storing documents away in filing cabinets or keeping everything in boxes, storing important documents or hard copies eats up a lot of office space.
To get tons of paperwork out and make better use of your office space, make your workspace more organized by placing documents not in use (but needing to be kept) inside a storage unit instead. This way, you can focus your attention on running your business and make room for current physical document files.
Searching for suitable storage to keep your business operations running smoothly can be challenging, as there are many factors to consider like efficiency, location, and the amount of space required. But with the flexible options and benefits that a storage unit can offer, you can be sure that you’ll have enough space to run your business.
Proper storage is a requirement for any business’s success. However, take note that storage space is only as efficient as how you make use of it, so store wisely. Don’t cram everything inside your storage unit and follow these tips:
- Label boxes – Always take the time to label each box indicating the contents using a marker. If you choose not to, you’ll definitely regret it once you realize you will need to rummage through every single box just to find an important document. Also, make sure to mark sensitive items with the term “fragile” and note which end is up.
- Disassemble furniture – Items you need to store don’t need to remain as big as they currently are. Find a way to reduce the size of your excess or old office tables and chairs by taking them apart if possible.
- Keep an open aisle at the center – You need a clear path at the center of your storage unit so that you won’t need to trudge over boxes or furniture when you come in search of an item. Moreover, don’t forget to ensure box labels are facing towards the center aisle so you can read them easily.
- Use heavy items as a base – Most likely, you will be stacking several boxes together. However, do remember that heavy boxes can end up crushing the contents of boxes underneath so be mindful about the weight distribution and observe proper stacking.
Competition continues to rise in the business world no matter what the product, service or market. If your type of business requires physical space, especially for storage, you can never go wrong by partnering with a good, reliable storage company. This way, you can focus on growing your business and keeping operations efficient and productive.
Robert Wise, Sales Administration Manager at Nuss Removals, has been a respected figure in the removals industry for over 20 years. His attention to detail and the ability to truly understand the needs of the customer have ensured the successful relocation of thousands of satisfied individuals and families. For moving and storage across Australia and around the world, Robert’s wealth of experience ensures his customers are in safe hands.